This week was half term. For those of you not familiar with the concept, the children get a one week holiday in the middle of each of the three school terms here in the UK. It's always a welcome break for us as we love spending time together doing things we don't usually get to do. This year Halloween fell in half term which meant our most of our activities had a Halloween focus. Being South African, Halloween didn't play a big role in my childhood, but I'm starting to get the hang of it now. I think it is a really fun event for children and my boys are already hooked on the hype!
Needing pumpkins was a perfect excuse to visit Garsons Farm which we didn't have time for this summer. The boys enjoyed picking out their pumpkins from the masses that were lying in the field. Luckily Dad was with us to help carry. Nicholas was very interested in the other winter crops and couldn't resist picking a cabbage as well. When we got home the fun and games of hollowing out and carving the pumpkins began. If you know me then you'll know that I don't like wasting, so Danny (my sous chef) collected all the bits of pumpkin for some pumpkin and cheddar muffins. I must say we were all very pleased with the outcomes!
Pumpkin (and cabbage) picking
Pumpkin carving
Jack o laterns
Pumpkin and cheddar muffins
With our jack o lanterns ready and baking out of the way, that left getting dressed up for a private party with Olivia and Ernie followed by our first ever trick or treating expedition. The children had an absolute ball trooping through the streets looking for Halloween decorations, a sign that the residents would welcome their screams of delight, and would generously hand out treats. I think we will have enough stock in our sweetie jar to last for a whole year now!
Skeleton and Spiderman

The party

Trick or Treat
I always like looking back on occasions like this!




Hilarious! Is that permanent market on nic's face? How did it come off? The pumpkin carving is so well done! wowzers! and your hair looks brown in the muffins photo? No halloween in South Africa right but my bloody word do they love Guy Fawkes and most of them dont even know who he is hahah.
ReplyDelete