Saturday, 2 March 2013

Food glorious food

If you want to spoil your kids, have a pizza making evening.  The boys were absolutely thrilled when I suggested we make our own pizza.  They had so much fun choosing their toppings and creating their own pizza.  It was a great success and we will definitely do it more often!






Kids either love or hate jelly.  My boys fall into the first category.  Danny enjoys making it too and every now and then wants to be creative about it.  I always remember getting jelly when I was sick as a kid.  So when the boys are not well I, like my mom, make jelly.  Especially when they have tonsilitis and bike accidents!


I've already blogged a bit about the special feasts we had to celebrate Chinese New Year.  I also wanted to do something different at home for the boys.  We usually have a stir fry, with different ingrediants every week.  So I had to think some something unusual.  I  decided to do Peking Duck Pancakes (with a twist of colour)!


Pancakes are another special treat for my children.  We usually have a little party for Shrove Tuesday but it didn't work out this year despite my good intentions.  That didn't stop us from having more than one pancake feast.  Thick banana pancakes in star and heart shapes were on the menu for breakfast.  For supper we had pancakes filled with pancetta ham and gruyere cheese.  You can really do all sorts with pancakes!




Even though I don't buy into the commercial hype of Valentine's day I do quite enjoy the excuse to do something a little different in the kitchen to celebrate.  Heart shaped fried eggs on toast were a great idea to love-up something usual.  Dad made home baked croissants for breakfast on the weekend.  And Danny and I tried out a healthy beetroot muffin recipe for tea time.  All to be repeated for sure!




Beetroot Muffin Recipe

500g grated fresh beetroot
210g saltanas (I left this out)
300g self raising flour
100g fine brown sugar
1t baking powder
1t cinnamon
180ml sunflower oil
3 medium eggs

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
2. Line muffin tray with muffin cases
3. Mix beetroot, saltanas, flour, sugar, baking poweder and cinnamon
4. Beat eggs and oil
5. Pour into dry ingredients and mix together well
6. Fill muffin cases almost to the top
7. Bake for 25 minutes

Enjoy Smile with tongue

No comments:

Post a Comment