The Big Draw is such a great initiative to get families drawing. We were lucky to stumble across one of the events at the Windmill on Wimbledon Common. As an extra bonus the windmill was open to the public and the boys really enjoyed exploring all the displays, especially the one where they showed how wheat is ground to make flour. Both of them used the photos and their specimens for their Show and Tell for the Harvest theme. But back to the big draw, they had a lovely setup on the common, with gazebos and music and all sorts of art equipment. You could choose what materials you wanted and what props you were interested in - for us it was the windmill - and sit down to draw. I was surprised by how absorbed the boys were and how they concentrated on trying to draw what they saw. I must say us adults enjoyed it too. It linked in nicely to our visit to the National Gallery the following weekend and it sparked a bit of an interest in drawing and painting in our household. Inspired by some of the still life paintings we saw we decided to do our own fruit still life at home one day. I'm really impressed with the end results, and I love it that they paint at school too!
The windmill
The big draw
Nicholas
Daniel
Dad
Mom
The Still Life
Nicholas
Daniel
A pumpkin for Halloween
A lily that Nicholas brought back from art class at school
I love it!
Daniel did an amazing sunflower at school but it is on display in the classroom and I haven't managed to take a photo yet but I am going to put it here when I do!
Wow! You are on a roll Faye! LOVE all the drawings of the windmill. Nicholas'still life is excellent and so is his lily ... definitely worth a frame!
ReplyDeletehahhaha Faye I need to buy some of this art work for my house! and I have to have your drawing of the windmill!!! ahaha and then Daniel's of the windmill and Nicholas's Lily! I am serious!!!
ReplyDelete