Saturday, 28 April 2012

Cylinder Art


Nicholas' homework for the holidays was to make something out of a cylinder. A great way to introduce kids to recycling is to make things out of every day objects, like toilet rolls, that we would usually throw away. The ideas are endless, I'm not going to list anything here, because it is easy enough to search the web yourself. Our first step was to search google images for some ideas. Next we transformed our toilet rolls into brightly coloured cylinders using paint. Then we got carried away!


 
  



Since Earth Day has just passed I thought I might as well go on a 'saving our planet' tangent. I'm going to focus on books about this important topic. The three that we have been reading are: The Lorax by Dr Seuss, The trouble with dragons by Debbie Gliori, and Charlie and Lola - Look after your planet by Lauren Child. The latter has a nice pull out poster at the end to encourage recycling. The tangent started when we went to the library the other day. Usually Nicholas and Daniel each choose any two random books without any influence from me at all. We then choose two encyclopedia type books, two books for Nicholas to read and a Dr Seuss book of course. It is easier for me to manage the selection and the return if I have an idea exactly what we've got. Anyway, that's not the point here, it's Nicholas' Dr Seuss choice last week. He chose The Lorax because he recognised it from one of the games he likes to play on Seussville website. I thought it's a great book for making kids aware that they can play a part in saving our planet. There actually seem to be a lot of green books out there. I found two websites that do nice book reviews of kids books. I think next time we go to the library I'll look out for some of the books recommended by Babbleabout and Lovereading. Happy reading and planting seeds in your kids minds about saving our planet!



1 comment: