Sunday, 4 March 2012

The Digital Age

I think back to when the first time I saw a computer, and then the first time I saw the internet, and I think about my boys and how computers and the internet are already a vital part of their lives and their education. It has to make me wonder what their lives will be like 20 years from now. Ever since we got back from SA two months ago we've hardly watched TV. The boys always pick the computer when given the choice. Amazingly, with a bit of encouragement, they share the computer in a very special way!


It all started with this baby's first laptop, then it moved on to my laptop, then the mobigo and now it's the i-gadgets and the computer. The v-tech toys can connect to the computer and you can do extra things via the internet so they still have their place. I-gadgets are strictly only allowed on weekends and on holiday because it not easy to convince them when time is up. But it's hard staying away from the computer, for me as much as them, cos I can see so many benefits!


Nicholas loves teaching Daniel how the various devices work. I think Daniel actually has his big brother to thank for teaching him how to use the mouse properly. He is like a pro, at 2 and 3/4, I ask you. Incidentally, Nicholas is left handed, but upon advice from of the ICT teachers that we spoke to when we were viewing schools we taught him to use his right hand. After some practice he doesn't know the difference anymore!


While I am on a blogging roll... related to the topics of learning and websites I thought I would include a list of some of the websites that we like which facilitate learning and make it fun. It's phenomenal how many great educational websites there out there. Sometimes I feel quite overwhelmed by it all because I feel like there just isn't enough time to take advantage of it all. I really have to plan my week so that I have a rough idea before hand what we will focus on each day as well as allowing some time for free play and exploration. Our favourite educational websites are (and I'll probably remember others after the fact):

Writing
Kids Learning Station

Reading
Alphablocks
Starfall
Reading Eggs

Mathematics
Mathletics
IXL

Languages
Poisson Rouge

Not to mention Google, Google Images, Wikipedia and You Tube!

No comments:

Post a Comment