Saturday, 24 March 2012

St Patrick's Day

I've been dying to make green eggs and ham for breakfast ever since I came across the idea a few weeks ago. St Patrick's day seemed like the perfect excuse to try it out. Daniel gobbled them up, as he does with anything resembling an egg. Nicholas on the other hand sounded a bit like Dr Seuss, 'I don't like green eggs and ham!'. It was a good gimmick but I won't make a habit of it!


My Granny always used to make floats for us when we were kids. It's one of the reasons we used to like visiting her so much. So far I haven't exposed my boys to fizzy drinks other than sparkling water which they call jet water. When I saw some cream sodas at Snoggy's, the South African shop at the end of the road, I thought they'd make the perfect St Patrick's Day treat!


We went to the Jacksons for a braai in the afternoon. Phillipa enjoyed showing off the trap she built for the leprechauns. Much to my amazement Nicholas could remember the trap they built together last year very clearly!


What a perfect excuse to do some rainbow arts and crafts. One of the blogs I like to read, Pink and Green Mama, has some lovely ideas. The sun was shining the other day so we we decided to take advantage of it and did some painting outside. It was fun starting off with the three primary colours and mixing them to make the seven colours of the rainbow: Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet. Of course we were tempted to paint some other things too!


Any excuse to bake, right? Daniel and I decided to bake some green banana muffins and then when Nick got back from school we decorated them, in green, of course. I don't like a mess so I find it very hard to 'leave it up to the kids'. Next time I must try harder to let them just do the decorating all on their own!


Finally, we're trying to grow some Irish Luck, four leaf clovers!

1 comment:

  1. I would also have been a bit sceptical of the green egg! Love the cream soda float!

    ReplyDelete