Friday, 29 November 2013

Tennis Fever

The boys started tennis lessons in the summer term.  They both really enjoy it and are doing well.  I saw a sign up for 'free' tennis lessons for kids at just the right time.  I thought there must be a catch and there was, the child had to become a member of the tennis club, but at £24 for the year it was still a massive bargain.  For the summer term we went once per week and during the summer holidays we sometimes went two or three times.  The boys just loved it!






At the end of June, when we were at one of their lessons, we spotted Roger Federer in the playground next door (with his mum and twin daughters). You can see him in the background of some of the photos. I got really brave and sent Nicholas over to chat to him so that I could take a photo. At first he wasn't very enthusiastic - maybe because he had just been knocked out of Wimbledon - but when Nick showed him his 'Federer' racket he seemed pleased and they entered into a bit of banter about the racket, SA/Switzerland, Wimbledon and how it feels to be the best in the world. I was impressed with the way Nicholas just did it all very casually while I was shaking in my shoes!




With the school only a few minutes walk away from Wimbledon we couldn't resist going to watch some tennis.  So one sunny afternoon, towards the end of the tournament, we went to join the afternoon queue.  We waited for about an hour until they opened the gates for the afternoon session and then we waltzed straight in.  At that time of the day the tickets are cheaper too which is an added bonus.  It was lovely strolling around absorbing the atmosphere and watching a bit of tennis.  We mostly saw youngsters playing doubles but also some oldies like Martina Navratilova and Pam Shriver in the ladies double semi final.  At the time Murray was on Centre Court so the atmosphere on Henman Hill was electric, especially when he won.  We finished off the evening with a pizza picnic followed by strawberries and cream for desert.  I think we will make a tradition of this during The Chamionship every year!

Who said queueing for Wimbledon wasn't fun!?







Examining the ladder




Wandering (and jumping) through the crowds


Some youngsters in action



The edge of Henman Hill

Navratilova and Shriver


Engrossed




Pizza picnic

Strawberries and Cream


Time to go home

No comments:

Post a Comment